Sunday 14 January 2007

njorak

I have been a Dvorak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard) user for almost two years now. Since I am a Swede and I also require some Swedish special characters in order to write proper Swedish, such as å, ä and ö. At the time I started using Dvorak I typed 90%+ English, so I didn't really consider it a problem to not have these characters.

How ever, things change. When I started at KTH I began writing a lot more in Swedish. Nowadays I'd say I write about 50% Swedish and people started complaining about me lacking certain characters =( Well, one person in particular. I had plans on somehow integrating Swedish special characters into the Dvorak layout, but unlike Svorak (www.aoeu.info) I didn't want to change anything to the default layout. Now, XKB isn't really the nicest and most intuitive thing to play with. So my attempts mostly ended in a lot of frustration and nothing done.

Today, I started out looking at XKB again. It all ended with me not being able to understand why it did what it did. And for the first time ever I tried xmodmap instead. Now, xmodmap was entirely different. I quickly managed to get it the way I wanted to but now I faced another issue. My EZ-Reach 2030 keyboard (http://www.typematrix.com/ezr2030/) lacks an altgr key. Which I needed to place the Swedish characters where I wanted to. I asked a couple of friends to run xev and hand me which keycode altgr was using, I got ISO_Level3_Shift from both of them. Happily I entered it as the key for a spare key on my keyboard, but, nothing happened. This of course, being unwanted and unexpected was soon cast aside by some web browsing. I found that I should use Mode_switch. The result can be found below. This is just a first draft, but should make "someone" ;) happy.

The name njorak derives from the Swedish sound "njo", which is a sound you make when you somehow agree and disagree at the same time. Since I probably would answer the question "Is this really Dvorak?" with "njo".

! njorak, not-quite-dvorak.
! By Pontus Stenetorp kth se>
! Derived from us dvorak, includes Swedish characters
! altgr combos.
! Apply it to an ordinary dvorak keymap using xmodmap.
! EZ-Reach 2030 version
! dedicated to spatrik

keycode 29 = f F aring
keycode 30 = g G adiaeresis
keycode 31 = c C odiaeresis
keycode 32 = r R Aring
keycode 33 = l L Adiaeresis
keycode 34 = slash question Odiaeresis
! Start button on EZ-reach 2030
keycode 115 = Mode_switch
! App button on EZ-reach 2030
keycode 117 = Mode_switch

No comments: