Friday 26 January 2007

What makes a lecturer happy

I know, I know... it was only a few moments since the last post but I am in the mood of writing things down. I guess I am a bit emotional right now.

I hold lectures in a course concerning Introduction to Computer Science, this mostly involves general programming practice but also some algorithms. I hold practice lectures for smaller groups around ten people. I now have about four months of experience and I hope that I am getting better and better by the day.

This term I have been forced to move my group from the morning to the afternoon. I have lectures an Algorithms Data structures and Complexity, *sigh* if only it wouldn't have been a lecture I would have skipped it. Along with this a few other lecturers have quit for this term, since they didn't have time to teach. This lead to two small groups splitting up and having to spread out among the other groups and my old group having to switch to my new afternoon group. A bit chaotic yes, and a bit hard to see my point but we'll get there.

A lot of the members of my old group was not happy about me leaving, they seemed to like me. Although, in my view I am confused, has a terrible handwriting, sometimes has a hard time to get to the point, gets lost in my own sentences, etc etc. That made me happy, but I expected most of them to still take the morning lecture to avoid having a two hour schedule gap. Seven of them still attended this Thursday... that really touched my heart. It makes you feel all warm inside and motivates you even more to see if you might even be able to make further improvements. They are a nice bunch, really good CS students over all.

Now, as if this wasn't enough later that evening I was asked if I could take in even more members. I had one of the groups that lost their lecturer for one lesson back in October. And now about six of them wanted to join my group... MY group?! I couldn't believe this at first, I mean... I deeply respect the other lecturers and consider most of them to be far better than me... and they asked ME?! My world spun once or twice. They even told me why they prefer me, I was shocked to say the least. I will not mention why and who they prefer me to... but I just couldn't believe it and I still can't quite grip it. This is a great responsibility, I know that I can improve and perhaps I then can teach them even more. I truly am one happy lecturer at this point, perhaps I have found something that I am good at... maybe *smiles*.

No comments: