Friday 22 December 2006

Hogfather

I took the time to see Terry Pratchet's Hogfather, now that I am on holiday. I must say that it was far beyond my expectations. Having seen just about enough of the cartoon version of Soul Music, I expected Hogfather to be just as bad. Transferring Pratchet's books to the screen seemed to me an impossible task, you can't have that many jokes, puns, comic reliefs etc. etc. in a movie... not unless you change it, without ruining the whole thing. I thought it to be impossible, I was wrong.

Hogfather is a dark story. Well, just as dark as it the book I guess, the Discworld is not known to be a nice place after all. I must say that I was impressed by the screen work and the special effects that made it all the darker. But in all this darkness are the characters, Pratchet newer fails when it comes to creating peculiar characters and bizarre settings. Seeing the wizards, death and all the others on the screen was not horrible. I very much enjoyed it, nicely woven into the dark fabric and a just as cryptic plot as always when it comes to Pratchet, it kept me etched to the screen for 3 hours.

And the ending... wow... I will only mention that I didn't expect that much "good" philosophy. At least it was among the things I least expected. All in all, not the best I have seen this year, but well worth watching. But skip the end of part 1 where they spoil half the fun of part 2 by showing what to come, I wish I had.

Hogfather was aired on Sky one, if you can't see it on air, you ought to get it by other means.

No comments: